The Building & Safety Department is part of the Community Development Department.  It protects the public through building code enforcement, including a thorough review and inspection process, and by providing code-related information to the community.

If there’s an issue in your neighborhood that you’d like us to look at or address – for example, hazardous waste or construction debris that hasn’t been cleaned up in a timely manner – please fill out a Neighborhood Enhancement Form.  (You can fill it out anonymously if you’d like, or ask us to contact you once we’ve inspected the site.)

Have a question about the building inspection or permit process that isn’t covered on this page?  Check out our list of Frequently Asked Questions.

Town Zoning Map

Not sure how your area is zoned?  Check the map here:

Zoning Map

Building Permits

You must have a valid building permit before you begin any construction within the Town of Pinetop-Lakeside.


  • Contact the Building Official for preliminary approval and to get an application form (you can also download one here): Download a Building Permit application
  • Complete your application.  Along with the form itself, this includes:
    • Contractor’s statement of license.
    • Approval from the Sanitary District, if a sewer hook-up is involved, or a County Health Department permit for a septic tank.
    • Two (2) completed sets of plans and specifications for the building, drawn to scale (when the plans are approved, one set will be returned to the applicant). The following must be included in the plans:
      • Site or plot plan.
      • Foundation plans.
      • Floor plans.
      • Framing details and cross sections.
      • Electrical, plumbing, and mechanical plans.
    • Please note that any new construction (other than a detached, single-family residence) which will exceed $75,000 in cost (as determined by the Building Inspector) requires the seal of a licensed engineer or architect, and must be approved by the appropriate Fire Department (Pinetop or Lakeside/Timber Mesa).
  • Submit your application materials:
    • In person at the Town Offices, or
    • By mail, to the following address:

Community Development Dept.
Town of Pinetop-Lakeside
958 N. Woodland Road
Lakeside, AZ  85929

  • Any previously undeveloped sites will be inspected to determine if they need culverts. If culverts are required, the number, size, and placement will be made a condition of the permit.
  • Any project of $50,000 in value (or more) within the State of Arizona has a contractor bonding requirement.  See “Bond Certificates” below for more information; this requirement must be met before any permit can be issued.
  • If your application is approved, pay your building permit fee and pick up your permit at Town Hall. (Fees are based on the International Building Code; click the link below to see the current fee schedule.)

Fee Schedule

Building permits will only be issued after all documents are submitted and approved.

For more information, please see our list of Frequently Asked Questions, or call (928) 368-8696, x231.

Bond Certificates

ARS 42-1305.02 requires that building authorities obtain a certificate from the AZ Department of Revenue to ensure that the bonding requirement has been met prior to issuing any building permits for projects of $50,000 or more in value.  This requirement can be fulfilled in several ways:

  • A contractor may present one of the following types of certificates prior to being issued a building permit:
    • An annual bond exemption certificate (please make sure to verify that the expiration date has not passed),
    • A bond certificate one-time exemption, or
    • A receipt for a bond identifying the location of the project.
  • If the bond exemption has expired, or the contractor does not have an exemption certificate, they can call the AZ Department of Revenue at (602) 542-4576 or (800) 634-6494 (toll-free).
    • If the contractor qualifies for exemption, a one-time exemption will be issued for the specific project for which the building permit is being requested. The one-time exemption will be faxed to the building authority and/or be followed with a call to let the building authority know that the building permit can be issued.
    • If qualified, the contractor will receive an annual exemption certificate within three (3) days.
    • When contractors do not qualify for the exemption, the Department of Revenue will let them know what to do next. The contractor may be required to submit a copy of their contract for the project, along with a Request for Bond Certificate. After the Department of Revenue either determines that the contractor is exempt or the contractor must submit a bond, a one-time exemption or receipt for bond identifying the project location will be issued. A copy of the certificate or receipt will be faxed to the building authority to let them know that the building permit can be issued.

For any questions regarding these procedures, or assistance to contractors, please call the state’s Bonding Compliance Officer, at (602) 542-4576 or (800) 634-6494 (toll free).

Gas Permits

The following guidelines apply to all natural gas, propane, and butane gas hook-ups:

  • You must obtain a permit for installation and connection of all fuel gas piping that connects to a building or structure. The fee for this permit is $25.00.

Gas/Electrical Permit application

  • After the yard lines and supply lines have been constructed and installed, they must be pressure tested in accordance with the Uniform Plumbing Code, Section 1206 (C), (10 lbs./15 min.). If anyone other than a licensed contractor conducts the testing, the Building Official must be notified to sign off the permit.  If a contractor conducts the testing, they may sign off and date the permit themselves.
  • The Building Official will conduct an inspection and check for use of approved materials, shut-off valves, and venting. If the inspection is favorable, a Green Tag will be issued.
  • The supplier will then check and test all equipment and appliances for safe and proper operation.
  • The supplier will Red Tag any appliances, equipment, piping, or any other conditions found that constitute a fire hazard, or which are otherwise potentially dangerous to human life. All Red Tagged appliances, piping, etc. should be reported by both the supplier and the owner or contractor to the Building Official.
  • The Building Official will conduct a second inspection whenever the supplier issues a Red Tag.  Any equipment which is unsafe, or in violation of the Uniform Codes, should be repaired, replaced, or removed. Depending on the problem, the owner or contractor will be given a MAXIMUM of thirty (30) days to comply with the applicable codes, or the supplier will be directed by the Building Official to disconnect the service to the property.

Building Inspections

  • Requests for inspections can be made by calling the Building Official at (928) 368-8883, x231.
  • All construction or work for which a permit is required is subject to inspection by the Building Official. The permit applicant should make sure that their work is accessible and exposed for inspection purposes. Neither the Building Official nor the Town of Pinetop-Lakeside is liable for any expenses entailed in the removal or replacement of materials required to allow inspection.
    • Reinforcing steel or other structural frameworks should never be covered or concealed without first obtaining the approval of the Building Official.
  • The person doing the work authorized by a permit should notify the Building Official when the work is ready for inspection.  Requests for inspection should be filed at least 24 hours in advance.
  • Permit holders should post an inspection record card in a conspicuous place on the premises before work begins, so that the Building Official can make notes during inspections.  This card should stay up until the Building Official has given the project its final approval.
  • After each inspection, further construction should only continue up to the point indicated by the Building Official; at that time, another inspection and approval is needed before construction can continue.  Final approval of a project requires inspection and approval of each successive step listed below.
    • Required Inspections:
      • Foundation: After trenches are excavated, forms erected, and when all materials for the foundation have been delivered to the site. (If concrete from a central mixing plant – commonly termed “transit mixed” – is to be used, this inspection can take place before the materials are delivered.)
      • Concrete Slab or Under-Floor: After all in-slab or under-floor building service equipment, conduit, piping accessories, and other ancillary equipment items are in place, but before any concrete is poured or floor sheathing installed, including the sub floor.
      • Frame: After the roof, all framing, fire blocking, and bracing are in place; all pipes, chimneys, and vents are complete; and the rough electrical, plumbing, and heating wires, pipes, and ducts are approved.
      • Lath and/or Gypsum Board: After all lathing and gypsum board, interior and exterior, is in place, but before any plastering is applied, or before gypsum board joints and fasteners are taped and finished.
      • Final Inspection: After finish grading, when the building is completed and ready for occupancy.
    • Other Inspections:
      • In addition to the inspections listed above, the Building Official may make (or require) other inspections of any construction work, to make sure that it complies with the Town’s building code, or any other applicable laws.
    • Re-inspections
      • A re-inspection fee may be assessed for each inspection or re-inspection, if unapproved construction continues past the point of a required inspection, or if corrections are called for but not made.

Have a question about the building inspection or permit process that isn’t covered on this page?  Check out our list of Frequently Asked Questions.